Saturday, November 19, 2011

How did soldiers get their Zippo lighters. How did they become so popular?

I've seen many Zippo lighters that were personalized for people who participated in different wars, and there are different emblems that correspond to different squads and divisions, etc ... Where did they get their lighters and how did it become so popular?|||The history of the Zippo lighter is here:





http://www.zippo.com/corporateInfo/Zippo鈥?/a>





Basically it was semi-windproof and made it easier to light cigarettes.|||You buy them or someone gives them to you.





I had two Gold plated zippos.





One was given to me one day in the barracks day room, by a friend who decided to quit smoking, it was already engraved.





The other one I got for a x-mas present from my father ( career CSM )


Which he had had engraved. The first x-mas I was home on leave .





I stopped carrying either, after the 200th time i put to much fluid in them and they leaked in my pocket and burned the heck out of my leg.|||In 1971 i was in Vietnam and had a dragon carved on one side of my lighter and the other side had my unit crest attached to it. It was a cool looking lighter.|||I have got to come across some such stories in the blog of this site. Check this out...|||I bought mine at the PX. Had it engraved at the trophy shop on post.

No comments:

Post a Comment